Each village in our region unveils its charms to visitors with its beautiful halftimbered houses and stunning floral displays. Discover a quite particular heritage.
The Historical and Cultural Center is one of the main French components of the Museum complex whose elements are scattered on both banks of the Rhine River. It is the only museum which focuses on history and has displays about the Celtic, Roman and medieval periods.
Permanent exhibition: "Once upon a time on the Rhine", recounting the Rhine through imaginings related to the river.
Beam wells are relatively rare in Alsace. This technique was more commonly used in central Europe. The water would be drawn up using a counterweight and would then run down a chute into a stone trough, which could also be used to water livestock. The beam well can be seen in the centre of the village. A second beam well can be found opposite the town hall.
In the experienced hands of knowledgeable enthusiasts, the tour will introduce you to the historic heritage of the town of Lauterbourg.
Advanced bookings at the Tourist Information Office.
The Maison Adam - « M aison des J eunes et de la C ulture » is a 18th century's building, bequeathed to the town in 1913 by the mayor Adam. The Youth and Community Center (MJC) has moved into his beautiful residence in 1968.
As long as the Rhine has been navigable, the villages situated along the river have provided a significant contingent of boatmen, incorporating a whole range of professions, from cabin boy to captain, from cook to mechanic. In the 1950s, Mothern numbered some 150 boatmen (almost a third of Mothern's households), who formed an association. They then erected a mast on the village square (Place de la Wacht), similar to a boat's mast, but much more imposing. On feast days, this mast is decorated with a multitude of pennants and banners in the colours of the nations and shipping companies present on the Rhine. It reminds us of the Rhine's important economic role for the villages along its course.
The Butchers' Tower and the remains of the surrounding wall. The tower is the sole survivor of the 15 towers that once stood in the medieval town.
The cable ferry 'Saletio' is only one of its kind. A cable system whose principle is to use the sole power of the current to move connects the ferry between the two shores. It can carry 70 passengers, 28 bicycles and up to 6 cars outside of the rush hours. Connects 7/7 Seltz (FR) with Plittersdorf (DE).
Former Episcopal Residence in the Renaissance style (1592 restored in 1716)
The marking on the pediment above the front door, Pax intrantibus, Salut exeuntibus
(peace be upon those who enter, salvation be upon those exit), is happy to welcome visitors. The wrought iron initials affixed to the strip encircling the building remind us
that Lauterbourg belongs to the bailiwick of the Episcopal principality of Spire. Today, this Renaissance building houses the elementary school.
The Porte de Landau (1708), a witness to the Vauban epoch, is built on medieval fortifications. A sun sculpted on one side of the gate recalls the oath of allegiance to the King of France in 1680.
Upstairs in an exhibition room is a model of the town's fortifications, based on plans from 1782, and documents tracing the town's history.
The “Maison de la Wacht”
The former residence of the town's night watchman, of which only the front section has been conserved and restored to its original condition, the house was built in the style typical of Alsace. The reception area of the Pays de Seltz – Lauterbourg Tourist Information Office is based here.
The rear section, rebuilt in a contemporary style, houses a permanent exhibition: “Once upon a time on the Rhine”.
Remarkable architecture with its great doorway with a shattered pediment. Headquarters of the Tourist Information Office.
The magnificent Renaissance doorway from 1731 bears the arms of the town. Inside, on the stair landing, is the Roman Altar discovered in 1891 near the church. This Altar, dedicated to Jupiter, doubtless comes from a sacred location and bears witness to the Roman occupation of the site.
The clock mechanism, made by Schwilgué (1776-1856), the famous renovator of the clock in Strasbourg cathedral, told the time on the church bell tower until 1991.